[Cs5500] [Cs4800] Warmup Tournament - 10pm tonight

Dennis Zografos dzog at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Nov 12 11:24:59 EST 2011

Hi Madhu,

Thanks for the prompt and useful reply.

I think I tracked this down, in a very general sense, to some sort
of botched GenericSCG install.

While running a tournament server from a fresh GenericSCG.zip -> ant,
with "my" avatar being the *exact* PlayerMainHSR and bin folder that
I used in the warmup:

I didn't notice any problem in the first tournament with two of my
avatars and a baby.  Then I upped the rounds to 30, and saw the
exact "Exception thrown while parsing: 16", in various places
(sometimes during proposals, sometimes during opposing turns).

At the Admin console, I saw a corresponding:

-----
Inside provide response
protocol interpreter step complete
Error: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at scg.game.BinaryGame.protocolResponseHandler(Unknown Source)
        at scg.game.BinaryGame.convert(Unknown Source)
        at scg.game.BinaryGame.start(Unknown Source)
        at scg.tournament.Tournament.startGame(Unknown Source)
        at scg.tournament.Tournament.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
-----

for each Exception thrown by my avatar.

I tried hardcoding values that my avatar would throw Exceptions near,
but this did not prompt replication of the issue.

At some point, I copied my avatar's .beh and .cd to a fresh GenericSCG
and built them there.  The resulting binaries appear free of this problem!

I revisited my bin folder from the warmup.  I tried running a tournament
server from there -- all kinds of Exceptions and odd behavior! (I could not
run a tournament to completion)

The GenericSCG.zip sourced was from before Thursday's warmup.  Judging only by
date, it should be the same as: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/lieber/courses/
se-courses/cs5500/f11/projects/project-page/GenericSCG.zip (unless multiple
versions were uploaded that day/night)

Another oddity: I could not clean build that install (ant clean; ant):
http://pastebin.com/AFEh251r

** This means that some of .beh files shipped are inconsistent with both the
included pre-generated .java files, and the rest of the software! **

This is true of the currently posted GenericSCG.zip
(> ant clean; sh gen.sh; ant)

Users: don't run `gen.sh' on this release.
 Devs: Could we have a fixed release?