[Cs5500] MMG Clever Avatar acts clever !!

Madhuvanthi Balasubramanian balasubramanian.m at husky.neu.edu
Thu Oct 13 23:39:21 EDT 2011

Hello Everyone,

      We finally have some good news.! The MMG Playground is up and running,
and with ForAllExistsMax in effect, the clever avatar is not losing against
the baby avatar anymore !!
      It looks like there's actually a solid reason behind
"ProposedClaimMustBeNew" to be set to true. If this is set to false, there
are several duplicate claims.
      So when a claim is being refuted, the system is confused about which
claim is being refuted now. As a result, several instances are provided for
the same claim , although they must each be provided for a different claim
with a different value (atleast this is what I believe is true :) )
      So I went back to setting this parameter to false and set out to write
an avatar for the actual definition.

      All of us who used binary search to generate claims are definitely
prone to being kicked out.
      This is because we propose claims not only in the first round, but in
every round. Our current MaxProposals is 5 and NumberOfRounds is 9. This
means we need 45 unique claims.
      So we need a really huge set of instances to keep ourselves from
repeating instances. This includes proposing new claims when strengthening
also.
      So now I generate values in a sequential order starting from 0.10 and
keep incrementing it by 0.02, for every new claim.
      Although this is not the best method, this is the only way to stay out
of repeating claims.

      So I made up for this "weak" proposal strategy, by making the avatar
really intelligent in provide and solve.
      As a result, the avatar will always provide right values of x and y,
for any values of claims and x respectively.
      This, with our updated ForAllExists protocol, works in favor of the
clever avatar, in terms of reputation and scores.

      Can we run 3 tournaments tomorrow, for the MMG Playground with our
baby/clever avatars?
      We'd also appreciate if someone could suggest how we could improve
this proposal strategy of our clever avatar.

Good night !

--
 Thanks
- Madhu