[Cs4800] How does scoring work?

David Richards dirich at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Nov 8 23:26:53 EST 2011

To further support my theory that there's a bug:

If you look in the "proceed" method of scg.protocolInterpreter. StrengtheningProtocolInterpreter
you will see that it calls claim.getProtocol().strengthenP(originalClaim, claim)) as follows:

> if (!claim.getProtocol().strengthenP(originalClaim, claim)) {
> 			updateReputation(0, 1); // Alice wins

If we look at the scg.protocol.ForAllExistsMin class we can see that it doesn't implement
strengthenP(…) so it must inherit it from it's superclass which is scg.protocol.ForAllExists.
The implementation of strengthenP(…) in that file is the following:

> 	 // return true iff the strengthenedClaim is stronger than the old claim
> 	public boolean strengthenP(Claim oldClaim, Claim strengthenedClaim){
> 		return strengthenedClaim.getQuality() > oldClaim.getQuality();
> 	}

Clearly this is wrong for the ForAllExistsMin protocol since strengthened claims have
smaller qualities.

-David Richards