[Cs4800] hw 6 / inclusion-exclusion principle

Karl Lieberherr lieber at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Oct 15 06:20:31 EDT 2010

Hi Ken:

When I opened the document, I got a 2 line question about the Moebius
function.

It is a question not directly relevant to the algorithms we discuss,
although it
can be answered using the inclusion-exclusion principle.

-- Karl

Recall that the Mobius function (n) is 0 if n contains a square factor and
is (􀀀1)r
if n is the product of r dierent primes. For any n  2, prove that
djn (d) = 0.
6.