[Cs4800] Quick question about polynomial time

Karl Lieberherr lieber at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Oct 12 11:05:16 EDT 2010

Hi Andrei and Ken:

even O(n^2 * (2^{|M|}) would qualify as polynomial time, provided |M| is a
constant.
In our case, |M| is 2 or 3.

Therefore, O(n^2) * (2^{|M|}) = O(n^2 * C) = O(n^2) which is polynomial.

The term that is used in this context is: fixed parameter tractability.

To learn more about this, read the first two definitions in:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/lieber/courses/algorithms/cs4800/f10/resources/fixedParamNP.pdf

-- Karl