[Colloq] Colloquium TODAY at 10 AM: Wednesday, December 11 @ 10 am in 655 ISEC: Guy Rosman "Uncertainty-aware Representations Robotics"/Faculty Host: Rob Platt

Khoury Academic Affairs khoury-academicaffairs at northeastern.edu
Wed Dec 11 08:57:21 EST 2019

Colloquium: Wed. Dec 11 @ 10 am in 655 ISEC: Guy Rosman "Uncertainty-aware Representations Robotics"

Date: Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Speaker: Guy Rosman, Toyota Research Institute

Talk Title: "Uncertainty-aware Representations Robotics"

Time: 10:00 - 11:00 am

Location: 655 ISEC

Abstract:

For machines to excel in autonomous driving, surgery, and other robotics applications, they must capture what they sense and act on. Such a good robotic situational awareness requires us to handle uncertainty when we represent the world. In this talk I demonstrate several novel representations for handling uncertainty and their use in robotic applications.

In this talk I demonstrate several novel representations for handling uncertainty and

their use in three robotic applications: (1) 3D sensing for robotic assembly, (2) autonomous driving, and (3) video analysis of surgery.

Bio:

Guy Rosman is a research scientist at Toyota Research Institute (TRI) in Cambridge, where he explores uncertainty and risk in human driver behavior modeling. During his postdoc at MIT/CSAIL, he received the Technion-MIT post-doctoral Fellowship and worked with the Distributed Robotics Lab and the Sensing, Learning and Inference group. His research interests include inference and machine learning techniques in robotics, autonomous driving, and computer vision, as well as 3D sensing and AI-assisted surgery. His past works explore priors in structure and motion estimation from visual sensors, and the role of different optimization and inference techniques in computer vision. He obtained in 2004 his BSc Summa Cum Laude, in 2008 MSc Cum Laude, and in 2013 PhD at the Technion, in the Computer Science Department. Prior to TRI, he has worked at several companies, including IBM research, RAFAEL Ltd., Medicvision, and Invision Biometrics (now Intel Realsense).

He was recently a Best Paper Award finalist at ICRA'18 and ICRA'19, is the recipient of an MIT-Technion Postdoctoral Fellowship (2013), an Intel PhD award (2013), the Faculty Excellence Scholarship (2011, 2012) and the Jacobs-Qualcomm Scholarship (2011).

Faculty Host: Rob Platt