[Colloq] Reminder: Distinguished Speaker Series in Robotics: One Robot for Every Task | 4.10.18

Smith, Greg g.smith at northeastern.edu
Fri Apr 6 08:45:24 EDT 2018

Speaker:     Daniela Rus

Date:           April 10, 2018

Location:    ISEC Auditorium

Time:           4:30 PM

Title:            One Robot for Every Task

Abstract
The digitization of practically everything coupled with the mobile Internet, the automation of knowledge work, and advanced robotics promises a future with democratized use of machines and wide-spread use of robots and customization. However, pervasive use of robots remains a hard problem.   How can we accelerate the creation of robots customized to specific tasks? Where are the gaps that we need to address in order to advance toward a future where robots are common in the world and they help reliably with physical tasks?  In this talk I will discuss recent developments in  customizing robots and describe about how computation can play a role in creating robots more capable of reasoning in the world.  By enabling on-demand creation of robots, we can begin to imagine a world with one robot for every physical task.

About the Speaker

Daniela Rus is the Andrew (1956) and Erna Viterbi Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and Director of the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) at MIT.  She serves as the Director of the Toyota-CSAIL Joint Research Center and is a member of the science advisory board of the Toyota Research Institute. Rus' research interests are in robotics, mobile computing, and data science. Rus is a Class of 2002 MacArthur Fellow, a fellow of ACM, AAAI and IEEE, and a member of the National Academy of Engineering and of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. She is the recipient of the 2017 Engelberger Robotics Award from the Robotics Industries Association. She earned her PhD in Computer Science from Cornell University.

Please register at: https://events.attend.com/f/1383784152#/reg/0/

[https://mlsvc01-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/cd9e3e3d301/9e8884c3-c82e-460d-92c6-da5a2294fa8b.png]

[https://mlsvc01-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/cd9e3e3d301/e0fb2fcb-42e2-4b7d-9f2e-f4902f171b92.png]

[https://mlsvc01-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/cd9e3e3d301/95557c45-25cb-4c1a-bd5e-eed878177161.png]

"One Robot for Every Task"
DANIELA RUS
Director of the MIT Computer Science and
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL)

APRIL 10, 2018 // 4:30 PM
Interdisciplinary Science and
Engineering Complex Auditorium
805 Columbus Avenue