[Colloq] Title: Enabling Motion Detection on Commodity WiFi Devices using PHY Layer Information | Speaker: Dimitrios Koutsonikolas, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York | Date: 3/28/16 Time: 11am Location: 442 Dana

Walker, Lashauna la.walker at neu.edu
Sat Mar 26 09:04:46 EDT 2016

Title: Enabling Motion Detection on Commodity WiFi Devices using PHY Layer
Information

Speaker: Dimitrios Koutsonikolas, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York

Monday, March 28th
Time: 11AM
Seminar Room: Dana 442

Enabling Motion Detection on Commodity WiFi Devices using PHY Layer
Information

Dimitrios Koutsonikolas

University at Buffalo, The State University of New York

Client motion detection in WLANs has the potential to both improve
protocol performance and enable a number of novel applications. In
this talk, I will discuss our recent work that leverages wireless
signals to enable human motion detection at different granularities on
commodity WiFi devices. In the first part of the talk, I will present
a scheme for detecting and classifying client mobility on the access
point side by leveraging Channel State Information (CSI) and
Time-of-Flight (ToF), and I will demonstrate how mobility-awareness
can improve the performance of a number of wireless protocols. In the
second part of the talk, I will introduce WiDraw, the first hand
motion tracking system using commodity WiFi cards. WiDraw harnesses
the Angle-of-Arrival (AoA) values of incoming wireless signals at the
mobile device to track the user's hand trajectory without requiring
the user to touch the device or use any external hardware. Using
WiDraw, a user can draw arbitrary lines, curves, or even alphabetical
characters, simply by hand motion in the air.

Biography

Dr. Dimitrios Koutsonikolas received his Ph.D. in Electrical and
Computer Engineering from Purdue University in August 2010 and he
worked as a Postdoctoral Researcher at Purdue University from
September to December 2010. He is currently an Assistant Professor of
Computer Science and Engineering at the University at Buffalo, The
State University of New York, where he leads the University at Buffalo
Wireless Networking and Systems (UB WiNS) Lab. Dimitrios's research
interests lie broadly in experimental wireless networking and mobile
computing, with a focus on high performance and energy efficient
protocol design and implementation, testbed prototyping, network
measurements, and performance evaluation. He has published over 50
papers in top venues including MobiCom, CoNEXT, INFOCOM, ICDCS,
HotNets. Dimitrios co-organized the ACM CoNEXT 2011 Student Workshop
and the IEEE ICNP 2015 PhD Forum, and he is co-chairing ACM WiNTECH
2016. He is a member of IEEE, ACM, and USENIX. He won the NSF CAREER
Award in 2016.