[Colloq] Distinguished Lecture, Mar 3, 12 noon: MIKE FRANKLIN, Emerging Trends in Big Data Software

Rajmohan Rajaraman rraj at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Feb 24 13:05:45 EST 2016

Please note that the talk is at 12 noon (different than what was indicated in a January email).

CCIS Distinguished Lecture Series

Emerging Trends in Big Data Software
Michael Franklin, UC Berkeley

Thursday, March 3, 2016
12 noon, 240 Dockser

Abstract

Big Data software has created quite a stir recently, largely driven by open source environments such as Hadoop and Spark. In this talk, I'll begin by giving an overview of one such environment that we have been building at the AMPLab: the Berkeley Data Analytics Stack (BDAS).  BDAS has served as the launching platform for Spark, Mesos, Tachyon, GraphX, MLlib and other popular systems. I will then survey some recent trends in such software including: integrated systems vs. silos,  real-time analytics, machine learning model serving, internet of things, cloud-hosted analytics and the potential convergence of high-performance computing and big data processing and describe how these trends are impacting the development of BDAS. Throughout the talk I will make the case that the rise of open source software for data analytics and other areas provides computer science researchers in academia with unprecedented opportunities for direct impact and testing of new ideas.

Biography

Michael J. Franklin is the Thomas M. Siebel Professor of Computer Science and Director of the Algorithms, Machines, and People Laboratory (AMPLab) at UC Berkeley, which received an NSF CISE Expeditions in Computing award announced as part of the White House Big Data Research Initiative in 2012. Prof. Franklin was founder and CTO of Truviso, a real-time data analytics company that was subsequently acquired by Cisco Systems. He currently serves on the Technical Advisory Boards of a number of data-driven technology companies, including Databricks, an AMPLab spinout. He is an ACM Fellow, a two-time winner of the ACM SIGMOD "Test of Time" award, has two recent CACM Research Highlights selections, and received the outstanding Advisor Award from the Computer Science Graduate Student Association at Berkeley. He received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin in 1993, a Master of Software Engineering from the Wang Institute of Graduate Studies in 1986, and a BS in Computer and Information Science from the University of Massachusetts in 1983.