[Colloq] REMINDER: Talk: Predictable and Portable Real-Time Programs through Logical Execution Time | Christoph Kirsch, University of Salzburg | December 3, 2015, 11am-12pm, 366 WVH

Walker, Lashauna la.walker at neu.edu
Thu Dec 3 08:15:36 EST 2015

Title: Predictable and Portable Real-Time Programs through Logical Execution Time
Speaker: Christoph Kirsch, University of Salzburg
Date: December 3, 2015
Time: 11am-12pm
Location: 366 WVH

Title:

Predictable and Portable Real-Time Programs through Logical Execution Time

Abstract:

This talk provides a principled introduction to the problem of engineering real-time software such that its temporal behavior is deterministic with respect to its inputs. In particular, we are interested in constructing software whose temporal behavior is independent of any hardware performance characteristics such as number of processors and processor speed. For this purpose, we survey real-time programming models developed by us as well as others and then show how a logical notion of execution time (LET) can address the problem. Interestingly, the standard workflow of high-level non-real-time programming languages applies here as well. For example, we define the notion of time safety, analogous to type safety, for excluding a class of runtime errors already at compile time and then construct a virtual machine that monitors the execution of LET programs for time safety violations that cannot be excluded. We also show that the time-safe execution of LET programs is deterministic in time. LET programs have been implemented on a number of systems including the JAviator, a quadrotor developed by us in collaboration with IBM Research. The development of the JAviator will be shown in a short video.

Thank You.

LaShauna Walker
Executive Assistant to Dean Carla Brodley
College of Computer and Information Science
Northeastern University
617-373-5204
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ccisatnu?ref=hl> | Instagram<https://instagram.com/ccisatnu/> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Northeastern-University-College-Computer-Information-1943637?gid=1943637&mostPopular=&trk=tyah&trkInfo=idx%3A1-1-1%2CtarId%3A1426606862845%2Ctas%3ANortheastern+University+College+of+Com> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/CCISatNU>