[Colloq] REMINDER: Talk: Foundations of Model-Based System Design - Stavros Tripakis - Tuesday, November 10, 1:30-2:30pm, 366WVH

Walker, Lashauna la.walker at neu.edu
Tue Nov 10 08:38:41 EST 2015

Title: Foundations of Model-Based System Design
Speaker: Stavros Tripakis
Date: Tuesday, November 10th
Time: 1:30pm-2:30pm

Location: 366 WVH

Abstract:
Model-based design (MBD) is a design methodology that relies on three key elements: modeling (how to capture the system that we want), analysis (how to be sure that this is the system that we want before actually building it), and synthesis (how to build the system). In this talk I will present some recent work on two aspects of MBD: synthesis and compositionality. I will first present synthesis of distributed control protocols from scenarios and requirements. Automated synthesis of such protocols is a hard, generally undecidable, problem. Nevertheless, by allowing the designer to specify, in addition to a set of formal requirements, a set of example scenarios that illustrate how the protocol should behave in certain situations, we are able to fully automatically synthesize several simple distributed protocols.

I will then discuss compositional methods, which allow to build systems from smaller components. Such methods are not simply a desirable feature in system design: they are a must for building large and complex systems. A key ingredient for compositionality is that of an "interface". An interface abstracts a component, exposing relevant information while hiding internal details. I will give an overview of the many uses of interfaces in MBD, from modular code generation from hierarchical models, to incremental design with interface theories, to co-simulation and multiview modeling.

Bio:
Stavros Tripakis is an Associate Professor at Aalto University, and an Adjunct Associate Professor at the University of California, Berkeley.  He received a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science in 1998 at the Verimag Laboratory, Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France. He was a Postdoc at UC Berkeley from 1999 to 2001, a CNRS Research Scientist at Verimag from 2001 to 2006, and a Research Scientist at Cadence Research Labs, Berkeley, from 2006 to 2008. His research interests include formal methods, computer-aided system design, and cyber-physical systems. Dr. Tripakis was co-Chair of the 10th ACM & IEEE Conference on Embedded Software (EMSOFT 2010), and Secretary/Treasurer (2009-2011) and Vice-Chair (2011-2013) of ACM SIGBED. His h-index is 40 (Google Scholar).

Thank You.

LaShauna Walker
Executive Assistant to Dean Carla Brodley
College of Computer and Information Science
Northeastern University
617-373-5204
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ccisatnu?ref=hl> | Instagram<https://instagram.com/ccisatnu/> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Northeastern-University-College-Computer-Information-1943637?gid=1943637&mostPopular=&trk=tyah&trkInfo=idx%3A1-1-1%2CtarId%3A1426606862845%2Ctas%3ANortheastern+University+College+of+Com> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/CCISatNU>