[Colloq] Talk - Charles Consel - Verification of Daily Activities of Elders: A Simple, Non-Intrusive, Low-Cost Approach - October 27th - 3pm - 366 WVH

Biron, Jessica j.biron at neu.edu
Thu Oct 16 10:34:08 EDT 2014

Charles Consel
Inria / University of Bordeaux

Monday, October 27th
3pm in 366 WVH

Title:
Verification of Daily Activities of Elders:
A Simple, Non-Intrusive, Low-Cost Approach

Abstract:
  This talk presents an approach to verifying the activities of daily
  living of elders at their home. We verify activities, instead of
  inferring them, because our monitoring approach is driven by
  routines, initially sketched by users in their environment.
  Monitoring is supported by a lightweight sensor infrastructure,
  comprising non-intrusive, low-cost, wireless devices. Verification
  is performed by applying a simple formulae to sensor log data, for
  each activity of interest. The result value determines whether an
  activity has been performed.

  We have conducted an experimental study to validate our approach. To
  do so, four participants have been monitored during five days at
  their home, equipped with sensors. When applied to the log data, our
  formulas were able to automatically verify that a list of activities
  were performed. They produced the same interpretations, using Signal
  Detection Theory, as a third party, manually analyzing the log data.

Bio:
Charles Consel is a professor of Computer Science at University of
Bordeaux. He served on the faculty of Yale University, Oregon Graduate
Institute and the University of Rennes. His research contributions cover
programming languages, software engineering, operating systems,
pervasive computing, and assisted living.

He leads the Phoenix group at Inria that conducts multi-disciplinary
research to design, develop, deploy and assess assistive computing
supports. This research combines (1) Cognitive Science to study user
needs and make a rigorous assessment of assistive services; (2)
Sensing and actuating expertise to support the user based on accurate
and rich interactions with the environment; (3) Computer Science to
support and guide all the development process of the assistive
services.