[Colloq] PhD Proposal Talk - Asumu Takikawa - Scaling Gradual Typing for Object-Oriented Programming - Aug. 27, 10am-12pm, 166 WVH

Jessica Biron bironje at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Aug 22 09:13:58 EDT 2014

Title: Scaling Gradual Typing for Object-Oriented Programming

Date/Time: Wed. Aug. 27 10AM-12PM

Location: WVH 166

Abstract:

Industrial developers embrace dynamically-typed and object-oriented (OO)

languages. As programs in these languages grow from small scripts to large

systems, the lack of static types often hampers documentability and maintainability.

Therefore researchers have labored to bring the benefits of static type systems

to dynamically-typed languages using methods such as soft typing, optional

typing, and gradual typing. Unfortunately, existing implementations

do not support object-oriented programming language features

nor the idioms present in dynamically-typed programs.

I propose to implement a practical gradual type system that supports the existing OO

programming idioms in an existing dynamically-typed language. The system will

extend Typed Racket, a gradual type system for the functional subset of

the Racket language. I will evaluate the system on its soundness, performance,

and support of OO idioms on the large corpus of OO programs in the Racket core

distribution.

Committee:

Prof. Matthias Felleisen

Prof. Jan Vitek

Prof. Mitchell Wand

Prof. Kathleen Fisher (Tufts University)

Prof. Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (Indiana University)