[Colloq] TODAY - Talk Jacquelyn Ford Morie - May 5th, 11am, 366 WVH - Thoughts on designing for Immersive Environments

Jessica Biron bironje at ccs.neu.edu
Mon May 5 07:50:00 EDT 2014

Thoughts on designing for Immersive Environments

May 5th 11am

366 WVH

Jacquelyn Ford Morie

Founder and Chief Scientist. MS, MFA, PhD, All These Worlds, LLC

ABSTRACT:

Looking at the immersive environments I have build over the years, I will share how I came up with my detailed design concepts for a variety of training and art projects in Virtual Reality and Virtual Worlds. Included will be work from 1990s (Virtopia, Polyshop and ToyScout games), the 2000s (the multisensory SEE Project with its DarkCon scenario) and my PhD work (Memory Stairs). Networked Virtual World work (Coming Home, Virtual NiCOE, and NASA's ANSIBLE world for astronauts) will also be covered.

Discussion will be encouraged to see how such techniques might be adaptable to the next wave of VR experiences.

BIO :

With degrees in both art and computer science, Dr. Morie has 25 years experience in developing innovative techniques for rich virtual reality (VR) environments. She spent 13 years as a Sr. Research Scientist at USC’s Institute for Creative Technologies (ICT), where she created novel VR telehealth care activities using her deep understanding of art, computer animation and human behavior to enhance patient engagement with these programs. Dr. Morie also has worked in the animation and special effects industries and prior to that, worked at UCF’s Institute for Simulation and Training, where she developed techniques to make VR environments more immersive and emotionally evocative. She researches the effects avatars have on the people who use them. Her recently formed company, All These Worlds, LLC ( www.alltheseworldsllc.com ) include clients such as NASA and the Army Medical Command at Ft Sam Houston.