[Colloq] Thesis proposal presentation March 4, 4pm by Qian Zhang

Francoise Niang fniang at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Feb 21 10:30:19 EST 2014

Subject: FW: thesis proposal presentation March 4 4pm -- Qian Zhang

THESIS TITLE
Contagion and ranking processes in complex networks: the role of geography and interaction strength

DATE: Tuesday, March 4th, 2014
TIME: 4:00pm to 6:00pm
LOCATION: 366WVH

ABSTRACT
The recent global surge in the use of technologies such as social media, smart phones and GPS-enabled devices has provided abundant resources to understand dynamical processes on complex networks and a unique chance to characterize geospatial and temporal distribution of real time social events. Meanwhile, the easy accessibility to bibliographic data and geographical database allow better understanding of scholarly networks and in charting the creation of knowledge globally. Moreover, the availability of large-scale communication datasets presents new opportunities to study information dissemination on social networks. In this thesis we focus on the diffusion processes on complex networks aggregated from these data. First, we investigate geospatial and temporal features of a publication dataset. We characterize the knowledge diffusion pattern between worldwide urban areas and its temporal evolution, and identify the key cities in the scientific research in physics. Second, we propose to detect and predict seasonal flu epidemics in countries of interest with geolocalized Twitter signals. In the early stage of a flu season, tweets containing information related with influenza-like illness indicate the spatial distribution of possible initial infected cases. Modeling disease and spreading dynamics with these initial seeds can provide the possibility of forecasting ILI cases in the coming month. Beyond geospatial information, we also investigate the role of other network properties play on information diffusion process. For a human-to-human communication network, we survey different definitions of weak ties and develop a novel link property importance to characterize the strength of ties. Controlling weak ties defined by importance can more efficiently confine the information spreading within a small community than controlling weak ties under other definitions. Last but not least, we find a phase transition between absorbing and active states of the classic Maki-Thompson rumor spreading model on random networks. The parameters of the contagion process as well as the network architecture determine whether the rumor will spread globally or whether it will be confined within a small neighborhood.

THESIS COMMITTEE
Thesis Advisor
- Alessandro Vespignani , Distinguished Professor, College of Computer and Information Science & Department of Physics & Bouve' College of Health Science, Northeastern University
Committee Members
- David Lazer , Professor, College of Computer and Information Science & Department of Political Science, Northeastern University
- Alan Mislove , Assistant Professor, College of Computer and Information Science, Northeastern University
External Member
- Marta C. González, Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, MIT

The link to the thesis proposal
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/qianz/ccs-thesis-proposal.html

--
Qian Zhang
College of Computer and Information Science