[Colloq] ECE Hiring talk by Jason Corso

Robert Platt rplatt at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Feb 14 09:55:43 EST 2014

Hi there --

Jason Corso, an old colleague of mine, is giving a faculty candidate
talk in ECE next Thursday (2/12) at 1:30-3:00PM in 442 DA. Jason does
Computer Vision and Machine Learning. Here is the announcement:

Title: Perceiving Action in Space-Time: Computational and Human Perspectives

Abstract:
Humans are highly articulated, which leads to complex and idiosyncratic
actions in space-time.  This complexity has challenged computational
models of human action for some time now, and yet humans themselves are
highly adept at parsing action.  In this talk, I will motivate the
challenge of interpreting human action from spatial, temporal, and
spatiotemporal points of view.  Then, I will present both computational
and human perspectives on modeling action.  First, I will describe how
video can be decomposed into a multilevel semantic scale-space using a
two-part Markov approximation framework.  Within this semantic
scale-space, we have conducted a visual psychophysical study of how
humans perceive action, and I will report our findings in that study.

Second, I will present a pair of computational models for human action.
The first method, called Action Bank, creates a high-level action space
that is spanned by individual space-time actions.  Query videos are
projected into this action space and non-linear classifiers are learned
for recognition.  The second method proposes a ranking conditional
random field model for category-independent action inference.  The model
seeks a differentiation between motion and action by incorporating both
local action evidence and a neighborhood ordering criteria.  Experiments
demonstrate how space-time, action-specific modeling can outperform
motion background subtraction and human detection, as well as other
models of ranking. Time-permitting, I will relate these findings to
other work in my group in computational neuroscience and cognitive robotics.

Bio:

Corso is an associate professor of Computer Science and Engineering at
SUNY Buffalo. He received his Ph.D. at The Johns Hopkins University in
2006 (from the Computational Interaction with Physical Systems Lab), the
M.S.E Degree from The Johns Hopkins University in 2002 and the B.S.
Degree with honors from Loyola College In Maryland.  He spent two years
as a post-doctoral fellow at the University of California, Los Angeles
affiliated with Medical Imaging Informatics, the Laboratory of Neuro
Imaging, and the Center for Image and Vision Science.   He is the
recipient of the Army Research Office Young Investigator Award 2010
(robotics), NSF CAREER award 2009 (computer vision), SUNY Buffalo Young
Investigator Award 2011, a member of the 2009 DARPA Computer Science
Study Group (data mining), and a recipient of the Link Foundation
Fellowship in Advanced Simulation and Training (physically-grounded
vision).  Corso has authored more than ninety peer-reviewed papers on
topics of his research interest including computer vision, robotics,
data science, and medical imaging.  He is a member of the AAAI, IEEE and
the ACM.  He is PI on more than $5 million in research funding from
major federal agencies, including NSF, NIH, DARPA, ARO, and IARPA.