[Colloq] Colloquium Talk: 3pm, Thu Nov 21, 366WVH -- Dmitry Berenson (WPI) -- The Frontiers of Intelligent Robot Motion and Manipulation

Francoise Niang fniang at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Nov 20 13:30:17 EST 2013

Title: The Frontiers of Intelligent Robot Motion and Manipulation
Speaker: Dmitry Berenson
Speaker Affiliation: WPI
Date: Thursday, November 21, 2013
Time: 3:00 PM to 4:00 PMLocation: 366WVH
Host: Robert Platt

 Abstract: Robot motion and manipulation has been studied for many years, with much of the work focusing on rigid environments with known obstacles, like a factory work cell.  We now seek to bring robots into our homes, offices, and operating rooms and to have them collaborate with people.  These new applications break the fundamental assumptions behind most of our methods and have created new frontiers in motion planning and manipulation.  I will discuss our work on pursuing these frontiers; namely in human-robot collaboration, manipulation, and motion planning for deformable objects.

Bio: Dmitry Berenson received a BS in Electrical Engineering from Cornell University and received his Ph.D. degree from the Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University in 2011.  He completed a post-doc at UC Berkeley in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences and started as an Assistant Professor in Robotics Engineering and Computer Science at WPI in 2012.  He founded and directs the Autonomous Robotic Collaboration (ARC) Lab at WPI, which focuses on motion planning, manipulation, and human-robot collaboration.