[Colloq] Colloquium Talk: Rubén Cuevas - Characterizing Users' Engage =?utf-8?Q?ment_in_Major_OSNs_-_Wednesday, _October_9th, _1:30pm, _366_WVH?=

Jessica Biron bironje at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Sep 20 09:44:15 EDT 2013

Rubén Cuevas

Where: WVH 366

When: Oct 9, 1:30pm

Title: Characterizing Users' Engagement in Major OSNs

Abstract: On-line Social Networks have irrupted in the society becoming an essential service in our daily lives in only few years. Currently hundred of millions of people is subscribed to OSNs like Facebook, Twitter or Google+ and use them daily to interact with its surrounding social environment. Under this environment the research community is deeply studying these networks to being able to understand them and exploit their possibilities in different areas such as communication, marketing, media, etc. In this talk, we first describe the evolution of Google+, the youngest OSN among the most popular ones, in its first year. Furthermore, we present a comparative analysis of the three major OSN, i.e. Facebook, Twitter and Google+, in terms of: activity, users reactions to this activity, connectivity and volume of public information.

Sort bio: Rubén Cuevas is currently Assistant Professor at the Telematics engineering Department at University Carlos III of Madrid. He was research Intern at Telefonica Research Lab in 2008 and Courtesy Assistant Professor at University of Oregon in 2012. Rubén obtained his MSc and PhD in Telematics Engineering at University Carlos III of Madrid (Spain) in 2007 and 2010 respectively. His main research interests include Online Social Networks, Internet Measurements and Content Distribution. He has published more than 40 papers in prestigious international journals and conferences such as ACM CoNEXT, ACM COSN, WWW, IEEE Infocom, IEEE P2P, IEEE/ACM ToN, IEEE TPDS or CACM. Furthermore, he is currently the PI of three research grants funded by the European Union, the Spanish Government and Industry.