[Colloq] Computational Social Science Hiring Talk: March 26 @ 11:30am: Thom on Getting Up to Speed: Social Media as a Resource for Newcomer Acculturation

Jessica Biron bironje at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Mar 25 10:33:23 EDT 2013

Getting Up to Speed: Social Media as a Resource for Newcomer Acculturation

Jennifer Thom

Tuesday, March 26 th

11:30 am – 12:45 pm

Lake Hall - 206

Abstract:

Newcomers are essential to the health of collaborative organizations.

In order for newcomers to successfully adapt to their new

surroundings, newcomers must learn about the norms, values and culture

of the organizations they have just joined. When collaborative groups are

distributed, this process of acculturation can change, as it moves

online. In this talk, I describe research that examine how newcomers

can affect the ecology of established groups and then focus on current

work aimed at providing resources for newcomer acculturation through

social media. Finally, I discuss ongoing work investigating the impact

of culture on participation in social media systems.

Biography:

Jenn is a Research Scientist in the Collaborative User Experience

Group at IBM Research. At IBM, her research focuses on how the culture

of a group affects how its members collaborate and contribute to

social systems. Jenn received her Ph.D in Communication from Cornell

University in 2009. Her dissertation work examined how users express

territorial behaviors in online collaborative spaces. For more

information, see www.jennthom.com .