[Colloq] Thesis Proposal by Hooman Javaheri 7/13/12 at 2:00pm "Wireless Transfer of Energy Alongside Information: From Wireless Sensor Networks to Bio-Enabled Wireless Networks"

Nicole Bekerian nicoleb at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jul 9 09:12:47 EDT 2012

The College of Computer and Information Science presents:

Thesis Proposal by Hooman Javaheri
Date/Time: Friday July 13th, 2012 at 2:00pm
Location: 366 WVH

Thesis title: Wireless Transfer of Energy Alongside Information: From Wireless Sensor Networks to Bio-Enabled Wireless Networks

Abstract:

Despite their constant evolution over the last few decades, wireless communication networks still struggle with energy conservation. The problem manifests itself in many applications, in particular wireless sensor networks, where communications do not occur frequently and nodes often remain idle, and small-scale communication networks, whose nodes need to to be minuscule. Such applications can achieve optimal energy-efficiency using passive (battery-less) receivers that wirelessly receive energy and information at the same time. In this proposal, we present techniques to simultaneously deliver energy alongside information during wireless communications.

First, we present mechanisms to consolidate energy and information transfer in wireless sensor networks. We introduce iPoint, a communication system including a passive wireless receiver capable of establishing two-way communication with a commodity smartphone. We prototype and experimentally evaluate our design that includes techniques to ensure efficient delivery of energy and information and novel communication protocols.

In the second part of the proposal, we study energy and information transfer in bio-enabled wireless networks. These theoretical networks feature wireless communication between wireless nodes and tiny biological organisms. We introduce possible designs for such networks using several enabling technologies, and present theoretical results on the performance of energy and information transfer.

Thesis committee:

Guevara Noubir (Advisor)
Bernardo Barbiellini
Peter Desnoyres
Marsette Vona
David Starobinski (External examiner, Boston University)

--

Best,
Nicole

Nicole Bekerian
Administrative Assistant

Northeastern University
College of Computer and Information Science
360 Huntington Ave.
202 West Village H
Boston, MA 02115

Phone: 617.373.2462