[Colloq] Room Change for Thesis Defense on Monday June 4th

Nicole Bekerian nicoleb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed May 30 08:40:05 EDT 2012

The College of Computer and Information Science presents:

Thesis Defense by:
Dimitris Vardoulakis

Date: Monday, June 4th, 2012
Time: 2:30pm
Where: 366 WVH

Thesis Title: CFA2: Pushdown Flow Analysis for Higher-Order Languages

Abstract:

Most higher-order flow analyses approximate programs as graphs. Each node in such a graph represents a program point plus some information about the environment and the calling context. The analysis considers every path in the graph to be a possible execution of the program.
Therefore, executions are strings in a regular language.

This abstraction is sufficient for languages like Fortran, where most control flow happens with conditionals and loops. But in a higher-order language, the dominant control-flow mechanism is function call and return. The execution traces that properly match calls with returns are strings in a context-free language. Approximating this control flow with a regular language permits spurious paths where a function is called from one program point and returns to a different one. Call/return mismatch degrades precision and may also slow down the analysis.

We present flow analyses that provide unbounded call/return matching in a general setting: our analyses apply to typed and untyped languages, with first-class functions, side effects, tail calls and first-class control. This is made possible by several individual techniques. We generalize the concept of summaries to powerful control constructs, like tail calls and continuations. We propose a syntactic classification of variable references that allows precise lookups for local references and falls back to a conservative approximation for references captured in closures. We show that the use of big-step semantics in a flow analysis can minimize memory consumption and make the analysis faster. We present experimental results from two implementations for Scheme and JavaScript which show that our analyses work well in practice.

Thesis Committee:

Olin Shivers (Advisor)
Matthias Felleisen
Mitchell Wand
Alex Aiken (External member, Stanford University)

--

Best,
Nicole

Nicole Bekerian
Administrative Assistant

Northeastern University
College of Computer and Information Science
360 Huntington Ave.
202 West Village H
Boston, MA 02115

Phone: 617.373.2462