[Colloq] Paper Requirement Fulfillment Presentation by Bahar Qarabaqi Todayat 10:00am

Nicole Bekerian nicoleb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Apr 25 09:38:36 EDT 2012

Paper Requirement Fulfillment Presentation:

Speaker: Bahar Qarabaqi

Date: Today
Time: 10:00 AM
Where: WVH 366

Paper Title:
"Interactive Search Queries for Online Communities"

Abstract:
We introduce the problem of interactive search queries for online communities (ISQ-problem). In online communities users often try to leverage the combined community expertise to find answers for problems where neither a complete and accurate specification of the question nor the exploration of all possible answers is feasible. For instance, when trying to identify the species of an observed bird, users do not know which information is most relevant and how to properly specify it; nor do they want to browse through pictures of all possible species. We formally define the ISQ-problem as a problem of minimizing user effort, while guaranteeing interactive system response time. To deal with uncertain and missing user responses, we develop a probability-based framework and show that it allows us to optimally rank possible answers and select the right questions to ask. Estimating the required probabilities from crowd-sourced data while guaranteeing interactive response times, poses a serious data management challenge, for which we develop scalable algorithms. We also propose a novel technique that identifies those user responses that had the greatest impact on the answer ranking, allowing the user to revisit critical uncertain responses. Experiments show the feasibility of our approach.

Committee:
Mirek Riedewald (advisor)
Matthias Felleisen
Ravi Sundaram
---------------------

Thank you,
Bahar

--

Best,
Nicole

Nicole Bekerian
Administrative Assistant

Northeastern University
College of Computer and Information Science
360 Huntington Ave.
202 West Village H
Boston, MA 02115

Phone: 617.373.2462