[Colloq] Thesis Proposal: Christos Dimoulas on April 18th at 3:30pm

Nicole Bekerian nicoleb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Apr 12 15:26:02 EDT 2012

The College of Computer and Information Science presents a PhD thesis proposal presentation:

Speaker: Christos Dimoulas

Date: April 18 at 15:30
Location: WVH 366

Title:  Applied Foundations for Behavioral Contracts

Abstract:

Behavioral contracts are a popular mechanism for expressing and checking
arbitrary computable properties of first-class components. The contract
system monitors the program execution and if it detects that one of the
stated properties does not hold, it signals a contract violation blaming
the component that does not live up to its contract.

In this proposal, we present the first framework for evaluating the
effectiveness of contract checking and the accuracy of blame assignment.
The two key ideas of our framework are:
--   a correct contract system controls all the flow of values in and
out of a component protected with contracts,
--  if a value fails to satisfy the obligations imposed by the contract,
a correct contract system blames the component that contributes the value.

We apply our framework to validate and design contract systems with a
wide range of features like dependent higher-order function contracts,
contracts for mutable data and contracts for web services.

Committee:
Matthias Felleisen
Amal Ahmed
Mitch Wand
Cormac Flanagan

Best,
Nicole

Nicole Bekerian
Administrative Assistant

Northeastern University
College of Computer and Information Science
360 Huntington Ave.
202 West Village H
Boston, MA 02115

Phone: 617.373.2462