[Colloq] Reminder: Thesis Defense by Prasanna Pilla: Predicting Bias in Political Documents, TODAY

Nicole Bekerian nicoleb at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Jan 6 09:39:25 EST 2012

The College of Computer and Information Science Presents:

Date: Friday, January 6, 2012
Time: 10:00AM
Place: WVH 366

Thesis Defense
Title: Predicting Bias in Political Documents
Speaker: Prasanna Pilla
Advisor:  Virgil Pavlu and Javed Aslam

Abstract:

Sentiment Analysis is an approach to determine the nature of opinions, sentiments and emotions expressed in text; which can be: happy/sad for a letter or a wall post in social networking sites, good/bad for product reviews, yes/no for any new idea, suggestion or discussion; it can be very basic, such as determining the polarity in a text, but also complex as determining whether a sentence is subjective or objective. Sentiment Analysis involves processing text, representing text in a format which captures information representing opinion and finally an approach to determine the Sentiment in a document.

For my master’s thesis project, I propose to create a system capable of predicting the sentiment of political documents using Natural Language Processing, Data Extraction, and Machine Learning Techniques. In this work, the sentiment of a political document can be one of the following: biased towards Republicans, biased towards Democrats, or not biased. The system I have been working on involves a number of stages including (1) Data Collection, (2) Information Extraction, and (3) Learning and Prediction.

Regards
Prasanna Pilla

--

Best,
Nicole

Nicole Bekerian
Administrative Assistant

Northeastern University
College of Computer and Information Science
360 Huntington Ave.
202 West Village H
Boston, MA 02115

Phone: 617.373.2462