[Colloq] Thesis Proposal by Ana-Maria Visan

Nicole Bekerian nicoleb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Dec 1 14:43:56 EST 2011

The College of Computer and Information Science Presents:

Speaker: Ana-Maria Visan

Date: Tuesday, Dec 6, 2011
Time: 10:00am
Location: 366 WVH

Title:
Temporal Meta-Programming: Treating Time as a Spatial Dimension

Abstract:
Reversible debuggers have existed since the early 1970s. However, they are not widely used, with the possible exception of GDB. Even GDB is worth using for only a few seconds. We hypothesize that the lack of success of reversible debuggers is due to the fact that executing backwards in search of an underlying bug often requires manual execution of thousands of reverse commands and is often impractical. Building a practical reversible debugger on today's multi-core hardware is further challenged by the lack of determinism.

We propose a new reversible debugging platform, as well as a new generation of tools built on top of this.  The tools will automate the temporal search for the earlier underlying bug. A particular tool, reverse expression watchpoint will be emphasized as a particularly useful key for this automation.

Committee:
* Gene Cooperman (advisor)
* Peter Desnoyers
* Engin Kirda
* Robert Harrison (external)

--

Best,
Nicole

Nicole Bekerian
Administrative Assistant

Northeastern University
College of Computer and Information Science
360 Huntington Ave.
202 West Village H
Boston, MA 02115

Phone: 617.373.2462