[Colloq] Research Seminar (Invited Talk): Cristina Nita-Rotaru

Nicole Bekerian nicoleb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Jul 13 11:53:01 EDT 2011

The College of Computer and Information Science Presents:

Author:  Cristina Nita-Rotaru (Purdue University)
Title:  Designing Byzantine-Resilient Wireless Routing Protocols
Date:  Monday July 18, 2011 at 3:00pm
Location:  366 WVH

====
Designing Byzantine-Resilient Wireless Routing Protocols

Wireless networks offer increased coverage by using multi-hop
communication. This architecture makes services more vulnerable
to internal attacks coming from  compromised nodes that behave
arbitrarily to disrupt the network, also referred to as Byzantine
attacks. Traditional secure routing protocols that assume
authenticated nodes can always be trusted fail to defend
against such attacks.

This talk provides an overview of our work in the last
decade in making several classes of routing protocols for wireless
networks resilient to Byzantine attackers.  We will discuss
protocols for unicast that rely on either hop-count or
high-throughput metrics, presenting several new metrics that
capture performance, availability, and security. We will also
discuss multicast protocols relying on either trees or mesh
based dissemination structures. We discuss the security of our
schemes and present experimental evaluation in simulators
are wireless testbeds.

Bio
Cristina Nita-Rotaru is an Associate Professor in the Department
of Computer Science at Purdue University where she established
the Dependable and Secure Distributed Systems Laboratory (DS^2).
Her research lies at the intersection of information security,
distributed systems, and computer networks. The overarching goal
of her work is designing and building practical distributed systems
and network protocols that are robust to failures and attacks while
coping with the resource constraints existent in computing systems
and networks.

Cristina Nita-Rotaru is a recipient of the NSF Career Award in 2006
and a recipient of the Purdue Teaching for Tomorrow Award in 2007.
She has served on the Technical Program Committee of numerous
conferences in security, networking, and distributed systems.
She is currently an Associate Editor for  ACM Transactions on Information
and System  Security (TISSEC) and IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing
(TMC).  She is also an Assistant Director for the Center for
Education and Research in Information Assurance and Security
(CERIAS).

Host: Engin Kirda

--

Nicole Bekerian
Administrative Assistant

Northeastern University
College of Computer and Information Science
360 Huntington Ave.
202 West Village H
Boston, MA 02115

Phone: 617.373.2462