[Colloq] Talk-Scans Seminar Monday May 2, 2011

panarese at ccs.neu.edu panarese at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Apr 29 15:08:02 EDT 2011

The College of Computer and Information Science presents:

Scans Seminar

Where: WVH366
When: 2 - 3 PM, Monday May 2, 2011

Title: Random Sampling and Cuts in Graphs: Three Combinatorial Proofs

Speaker: David Karger, MIT

Abstract:
I'll synthesize work showing that randomly sampling the edges of an undirected graph
preserves cut values. I'll give three distinct proofs, based on random contraction, tree
packing, and network reliability, that the values of cuts are tightly concentrated around
their expectations when those expectations are sufficiently large. I'll give a
combinatorial construction for sparsifying any n-vertex undirected graph down to O(n log
n) edges with only small perturbations in cut value and show how it can be used in fast
algorithms for approximate and exact maximum flow computations. While one can achieve
slightly better sparsification using algebraic techniques, I believe these combinatorial
methods offer useful insights and may yield more in the future. The talk is
self-contained, requiring only elementary knowledge of combinatorics and probability.

Bio:
David Karger (A.B. 1989, Harvard University, Ph.D. 1994, Stanford
University) is a Professor of Computer Science and a member
of the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His research interests include
algorithms and their applications, networking, computer systems, machine learning
and human computer interaction.

\