[Colloq] Hiring Talk: Stephen Intille, Tuesday, Feb. 16

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Feb 5 08:51:27 EST 2010

The College of Computer and Information Science and the Bouve
College of Health Sciences Present a Health Informatics Hiring talk by:

Stephen Intille
Technology Director, house_n project
MIT

Date: Tuesday, Feb 16
Time: 2:00pm
Location: WVH 366

Title:
Towards Enabling Population-scale Physical Activity Measurement on
Common Mobile Phones (and other projects on the use of ubiquitous
sensing for health monitoring and intervention)

Abstract:
I will present an overview of my research group's work exploring the
development and evaluation of sensor-driven health technologies for
personal health monitoring. I will begin with an overview of an effort
to develop a new open-source tool for measuring physical activity type,
duration, intensity, and location on common mobile phones for population
scale health studies. Real-time pattern recognition algorithms on mobile
phones use sensor data from custom miniature wireless accelerometers
worn comfortably on the body to infer activity. I will discuss the
technical challenges my research group has encountered and overcome as
we develop this tool for the medical research community, as well as
opportunities we see for using the technology to advance the emerging
field of personal, behavioral exposure biology. I will then briefly
describe some other tools and projects in development that use mobile
and in-home sensing for health technology research, ranging from an
open-source in-home monitoring toolkit to several studies that use
real-time sensing for motivating change in behavior using tailored,
just-in-time messaging.

Bio:
Stephen Intille, Ph.D., is Technology Director of the House_n Consortium
at the Massachusetts Institutes of Technology. His research is focused
on the development of context-recognition algorithms and interface
design strategies for ubiquitous computing environments and mobile
devices. In current work, he is developing systems for preventive health
care that support healthy aging and well-being motivating longitudinal
behavior change, especially using mobile phones and in-home sensors. He
received his Ph.D. from MIT in 1999 working on computational vision at
the MIT Media Laboratory, an S.M. from MIT in 1994, and a B.S.E. degree
in Computer Science and Engineering from the University of Pennsylvania
in 1992. He has published research on computational stereo depth
recovery, real-time and multi-agent tracking, activity recognition,
perceptually-based interactive environments, and technology for
preventive healthcare. Dr. Intille has been principal investigator on
health-technology grants from the NSF, NIH, Intel, Microsoft, IBM, and
the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
http://www.mit.edu/~intille

Host: Timothy Bickmore