[Colloq] REMIDNER: PhD Thesis Proposal by Yin Wang, Friday, Jan. 29 - Time changed to 1:45

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Jan 28 16:38:50 EST 2010

The College of Computer and Information Science Presents:

Dissertation Proposal Presentation by:
Yin Wang

Date: Friday, January 29, 2010
Time: 1:45pm
Location: 366 West Village H

Title: Distributed Diversity in Hybrid Wireless Networks

Abstract:

Wireless communication networks span a wide range of applications such
as traditional telephony, internet data access, and cyber-physical
infrastructure monitoring. However, the quality of service is still lacking, and
problems such as dropped calls, dead spots, and slow network speed are still very
common. Those are due to fundamental constraints such as the scarcity of radio-
frequency spectrum, signal propagation effects, e.g., channel fading and
shadowing, and the small form factor of mobile devices with limited
energy capacity and antenna diversity.

In this thesis, we propose to explore a new cooperative communication
model. We investigate communication strategies that exploit the channel and
traffic diversity across a set of cooperating mobile nodes equipped with
multiple radio frequency interfaces (e.g., cellular, WiFi). The research aims at
developing a framework for cooperation across multiple network layers to
improve robustness, throughput, and delays. The proposed cooperation is
based on two strategies: signal-combining and traffic-multiplexing.
Within this framework, we propose and evaluate a set of distributed cooperation
techniques operating at different hierarchical levels with resource
constraints such as short-range RF bandwidth. Our evaluation is based
on a combination of analysis, simulations, and real world experiments using
system prototypes.

Committee:
Guevara Noubir (Advisor)
Rajmohan Rajaraman