[Colloq] REMINDER: Talk by Sue Moon, Wednesday, Dec. 16 - 11am, 366 WVH

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Dec 16 10:06:28 EST 2009

PLEASE NOTE CORRECT ROOM

The College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium presents:

Speaker: Sue Moon
Date: Wednesday, December 16
Time: 11:00am
Location: 366 West Village H

Title:  Understanding topological mesoscale features in community mining

Abstract:   Blossoming social technologies are connecting people around the world closer at a speed never seen before. Motivated by the growth of the online social networks, we have investigated the topological characteristics of very large online social networks (OSNs).  In our IMC 2009 work we design and evaluated an iterative greedy algorithm for consistent community detection.  It is based on Blondel et al's Louvain method. Our consistent community algorithm produces almost always consistent output, except for two cases, Orkut and Cyworld.

In this work we investigate the topological mesoscale features of communities in order to gain insight to improving consistency. We have found that more than 40\% of nodes in Orkut and Cyworld still have pairwise membership probabilities between 0 and 1 after the 5th cycle. One interesting point to note is that they are the only two networks in our database that show power-law community size distributions.  We analyze the roles that nodes play according to the z-score and participation coefficient and report that the ultra hubs match the expected roles of the nodes. Finally, we use two datasets of AS graphs and compare the mesoscale features and report that they are similar.  For future work we plan to demonstrate the convergence of consistency analytically and also improve the consistent community detection algorithm.

Bio:  Sue Moon received her B.S. and M.S. from Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, in 1988 and 1990, respectively, all in computer engineering.  She received a Ph.D. degree in computer science from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst in 2000. From 1999 to 2003, she worked in the IPMON project at Sprint ATL in Burlingame, California. In August of 2003, she joined KAIST and now teaches in Daejeon, Korea. She has served as TPC co-chair for ACM Multimedia and ACM SIGCOMM MobiArch Workshop, general chair for PAM, and TPC for many conferences, including NSDI 2008 and 2010, WWW 2007-2008, COMSNETS 2009, INFOCOM 2004-2006, and IMC 2009.  She is currently serving as guest editor  for IEEE Network Special Issue on Online Social Networks and Journal of Network and Systems Management Special Issues on New Advances on Measurement Based Network Management.  She won the best paper award in ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Conference 2007 and has been awarded the Amore Pacific Wo
 men Scientist Award in 2009. Her research interests are: network performance measurement and analysis, online social networks, and networked systems.

Host: Alan Mislove