[Colloq] REMINDER: PhD Defense, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt - TODAY, 1:30pm

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Dec 8 09:34:11 EST 2009

The College of Computer and Information Science presents:

PhD Thesis Defense by Sam Tobin-Hochstadt

Date: Tuesday, December 8
Time: 1:30pm
Place: 366 West Village H

Title: Typed Scheme: From Scripts to Programs

Abstract:
The field of programming languages has recently experienced a
renaissance, especially in the field of untyped scripting languages.
But when scripts written in untyped languages grow into large
programs, they may also become difficult to maintain. To improve the
maintainability of programs in untyped languages, I propose porting
portions into typed sister languages. To demonstrate the feasibility
of this approach, I have developed Typed Scheme, a typed variant of
PLT Scheme. Typed Scheme provides smooth and sound interoperability
with untyped PLT Scheme; it also features a novel type system that
supports idiomatic Scheme programming, so that the porting process is
relatively straightforward. I have validated the effectiveness of
Typed Scheme by porting thousands of lines of untyped PLT Scheme code.

Committee:
Matthias Felleisen
Mitchell Wand
Olin Shivers