[Colloq] PhD Thesis Defense, Evangelos Kanoulas - Friday, November 13

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Nov 12 09:15:36 EST 2009

The College of Computer and Information Science presents:

PhD Thesis Defense by:
Evangelos Kanoulas

Date: Friday, November 13, 2009
Room: 366 West Village H
Time: 1:45pm

Title:
Building Reliable Test and Training Collection in Information Retrieval

Abstract:
Research in Information Retrieval has significantly benefited from the
availability of standard test collections and the use of these
collections for comparative evaluation of the effectiveness of
different retrieval system configurations in controlled laboratory
experiments. In an attempt to design large and reliable test
collections decisions regarding the assembly of the document corpus,
the selection of topics, the formation of relevance judgments and the
development of evaluation measures are particularly critical and
affect both the cost of the constructed test collections and the
effectiveness in evaluating retrieval systems. Furthermore, recently,
building retrieval systems has been viewed as a machine learning task
resulting in the development of a learning-to-rank methodology widely
adopted by the com- munity. It is apparent that the design and
construction methodology of learning collections, along with the
selection of the evaluation measure to be optimized for significantly
affects the quality of the resulting retrieval system. In this work we
consider the construction of reliable and efficient test and training
collections to be used in the evaluation of retrieval systems and in
the development of new and effective ranking functions. In the process
of building such collections we investigate methods of selecting the
appropriate documents and queries to be judged and we proposed
evaluation metrics that better capture the overall effectiveness of
the retrieval systems under study.

Committee:
Jay Aslam (Advisor)
James Allan