[Colloq] Thesis Defense by Yang Du - Thursday, 4/16, 9am - *update*

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Apr 10 14:22:53 EDT 2009

The College of Computer and Information Science presents a PhD Thesis Defense by:

Yang Du
Thursday, April 16
9:00am
164 West Village H

Title: Optimal-Location Queries over Spatial Databases

Abstract: We study the optimal-location queries in spatial databases.
Given a set S of sites, a set O of objects, and a spatial region Q, the
optimal-location query returns a location in Q such that, if a new site is
put at that location, the total benefit to the objects is maximized. The
optimal-location queries are of interest in many applications such as
corporation decision-support systems. There may be multiple variations of
the optimal location because different applications may define the benefit
to the objects differently. In this proposal, we consider two most
intuitive definitions of the benefit. We also examine the problem under
different distance metrics. We expect that the work will not only advance
spatial database research, but also benefit the end users who deal with a
large volume of spatial data.

Committee:
Donghui Zhang (Advisor)
Betty Salzberg
Rajmohan Rajaraman
George Kollios (from Boston University).