[Colloq] Colloquium - Eugene Agichtein - Emory University - Monday, March 9, 10am

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Mar 3 16:08:26 EST 2009

The College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium presents:

Eugene Agichtein - Emory University
Monday, March 9
10:00 am
366 West Village H

Title: Modeling User Interactions in Web Search and Social Media

Abstract:
Social media is transforming online information access in at
least three ways: as a prominent part of the web information
ecosystem, as a platform for information seeking, and as a
planet-scale experimental infrastructure for studying human
behavior. In particular, Collaborative Question Answering (CQA)
model has emerged as a potential alternative to web search:
participants post questions and answers, and rate and evaluate
each others contributions. The resulting archives of both the
content and the context of the interactions provide a testbed
for development of novel natural language processing, text
mining, and information retrieval techniques. I will describe
our new techniques for mining social media for tasks such as
estimating content quality, contributor authority, and information
seeker intent and satisfaction with the results. While the primary
goal of this work is improving information access, I will also
describe, if time permits, connections to medical informatics and
public health research.

Biosketch:
Dr. Eugene Agichtein is an Assistant Professor in the
Mathematics and Computer Science Department at Emory
University where he directs the Intelligent Information
Access laboratory. Eugene’s research interests are in
information retrieval, user modeling, text and data mining,
and natural language processing. He received a Ph.D. from
Columbia University in 2005, and a B.S. in Engineering from
the Cooper Union in 1998.  Previously, he was a Postdoctoral
Researcher in the  Text Mining, Search, and Navigation group
at Microsoft Research, and a consulting researcher at Yahoo!
Research. Eugene's work was recognized with a Microsoft
”Beyond Search” award, Yahoo! faculty research award, and
a SIGMOD 2006 best paper award.

http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/~eugene/

Host: Jay Aslam