[Colloq] Hiring Talk - Marty Vona, Friday, Feb. 20

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Feb 12 16:49:23 EST 2009

Hiring talk: Marty Vona, MIT

Date and Time: Friday, February 20 at 1:30 in 366WVH

Title: Virtual Articulations for Coordinated Motion in High-DoF Robots

Abstract:
Usually we consider the kinematic topology of a robot to be
immutable.  What if we were to allow virtual modifications, such as
adding extra joints and links? (*) These "virtual articulations" can
help address several current challenges in robotics.  In this talk I
focus on their use as the basis for a new kind of expressive, rapid,
and generic graphical interface for operating coordinated motions in
robots with 10s to 100s of joints.  With this interface the operator
may construct virtual articulations and inter-connect them with a
model of the actual robot.  Virtual links represent task-relevant
coordinate frames; virtual joints parametrize task motion, and, by
closing cycles in the kinematic graph, constrain coordinated motions.

I will show hardware results where NASA's 36-DoF All Terrain Hex
Limbed Extra Terrestrial Explorer (ATHLETE) executes a variety of
previously challenging coordinated motion tasks, and also real-time
simulations of a revolute-jointed modular robot with over 270 joints
(actual and virtual) and 90 kinematic cycles.

These results are all based on a new interactive articulated robot
simulator that supports dynamic and arbitrary closed chain kinematic
topology with a varied catalog of joint types.  I cover core
challenges in handling arbitrary topology, supporting the catalog of
joints, and scaling to large numbers of DoF with both convenience and
speed.  I introduce the idea of virtual kinematic abstraction for
hierarchically managing complexity: Just as the implementation of an
algorithm can be abstracted behind a compact interface, a potentially
complicated kinematic sub-assembly can in some contexts be replaced by
a less complex virtual stand-in.  Motion for the enclosing assembly is
computed using the stand-in, which then drives the abstracted sub-
assembly.

(*) "Links" are approximately rigid bodies (e.g. your forearm), and
correspond to the vertices in a kinematic graph; joints (e.g. your
elbow) are the graph edges. The degrees-of-freedom (DoF) of a joint is
the dimension of its mobility space.

SPEAKER BIO: Marsette Vona is a Ph.D. candidate in EECS at MIT CSAIL
with Professor Daniela Rus.  His current work explores theory and
applications for virtual articulations in robotics, operations
interface software and hardware for exploration robots, and reliable
compliant/proprioceptive climbing and walking strategies. From 2001 to
2003 Marsette was a software developer at NASA/JPL, where he helped
build the award-winning science operations interface for the Mars
Exploration Rover mission.  His 2001 M.S. in EECS at MIT was on new
techniques in precision metrology for machine tools, and his 1999 B.A.
thesis in CS at Dartmouth College described a self-reconfiguring robot
system based on compressing cube modules.

Host: Jay Aslam