[Colloq] REMINDER: Master's Defense - Thursday 11am - Vishesh Duggar - please note room change

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Dec 18 09:04:14 EST 2008

Master's Thesis Defense: Vishesh Duggar

Thursday, Dec. 18 11:00am
Room 166 West Village H

Title: Annotating Decision Analysis using Semantic Web Technologies

Abstract:

In this thesis we use Semantic Web techniques for the formal
representation of the decision analysis and the Eclipse Process
Framework (EPF) to coalesce decision making process with a software
engineering life cycle. In this way, a formal artifact can be produced
that expresses how and why a decision was made, which can be linked
into the many other artifacts of the development process. Semantic Web
search tools may then be employed to find similar decisions so that
they may be reused. Semantic technology can have a significant impact
on retrieval, reuse,interoperability, consistency, enforcement of
policy and validation of decision analysis. We have developed an OWL
ontology for the basic decision process that we have represented using
EPF. We integrated the process ontology with our OWL decision analysis
annotation ontology. Finally, we have used the resulting ontology to
annotate a sample of decisions and the processes by which they were
made.

Thesis Advisor: Prof. Kenneth Baclawski
Thesis Reader: Prof. Mitch Kokar