[Colloq] Colloquium Talk: K V Subrahmanyam 4/25

Patricia Freeman tricia at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Apr 22 08:56:22 EDT 2008

K V Subrahmanyam will be speaking this Friday,
4/25 at 10am in Room 366 WVH.

             An introduction to Geometric Complexity Theory.

In this talk I will give an introduction to Geometric Complexity
theory as an approach to separating computational complexity
classes. GCT was first proposed in a series of papers by Ketan Mulmuley and Milind Sohoni in which
they showed that the separation of complexity classes is intimately related to a solution of the
plethysm problem in representation theory.
I will talk about the algorithmic representation theory
problems which arise in this approach. I will assume no background,
and begin by introducing the important notions of completeness in complexity
theory and class varieties defined in GCT. I
will illustrate the approach by considering the example of separating
the permanent class from the determinant class.

Bio: K V Subrahmanyam completed his PhD in Computer Science from the Tata Institute of Fundamental Sciences, Mumbai
in 1994. He has been at the Chennai Mathematical Institute, Chennai since then.
His research interests are in Complexity theory, Randomization, Representation theory and Algebraic Geometry.