[Colloq] Yannis Smaragdakis Talk TODAY

Patricia Freeman tricia at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Apr 11 09:59:50 EDT 2008

Yannis Smaragdakis will be giving his Hiring Talk TODAY in room 366WVH
The Talk begins at 10:30am.

Program Generation and Programming Models for Distributed Computing
Yannis Smaragdakis
April 11, 2008
10:30 WVH 366

This talk first examines distributed computing from a programming model/software engineering standpoint, and subsequently uses the distributed programming domain to motivate program generation: a general and powerful approach to automating programming tasks.

We begin with a simple-to-state but important problem: how to define middleware that allows the programmer to think of a distributed application largely as a centralized one, while maintaining efficiency and expressiveness. Our NRMI middleware facility is the first to support call-by-copy-restore semantics for arbitrary pointer-based data, letting the programmer think of a remote procedure call much like a local one in many useful cases. We show that NRMI is significantly easier to use than traditional RPC middleware, yet maintains efficiency and full programmer control.

We then discuss the use of program generation techniques in the distributed computing domain. We briefly present our J-Orchestra system for automatically enabling Java programs to execute in a distributed setting. The transformations used in J-Orchestra have motivated recent general-purpose programming language work ("morphing" in the MJ language) and have inspired similar transformations with significant impact in a large open-source project (JBoss).