[Colloq] REMINDER, Talk: Monday, Jan. 7, 2008 - Rajesh Krishnan

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jan 7 10:41:07 EST 2008

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

Presents:

Rajesh Krishnan

BBN Technologies

Who will speak on:

“Towards A Content-Oriented Internetwork”

Monday, January 7, 2008

12:00 pm

Abstract :
The Internet counts among the greatest human accomplishments of the 20th century. Over a billion people access content over the Internet today; ironically, the Internet per se is content-agnostic, and infrastructure for content storage and retrieval has been overlaid separately. The core problem of the Internet has changed since its inception (from end-to-end data conversations to distributed content access), and so have resource constraints (for example, storage is not quite as expensive). Is it time to envision and create a new content-oriented internetwork?

In this talk, I will introduce the area of Delay/Disruption-Tolerant Networking (DTN), which I interpret as a generalization of traditional data networking along several important dimensions. I will posit that DTN is a "disruptive" technology and that emerging DTN innovations and standards can pave the way for a content-oriented internetwork of the future. I will touch upon research and key challenges in this area.

Brief Biography

Rajesh Krishnan is a Senior Scientist at BBN Technologies. At BBN since 1997, he has led several networking research efforts supported by the US Government. Currently he leads the SPINDLE project funded by DARPA's Disruption-Tolerant Networking (DTN) program. Earlier, he was the lead architect of BBN's policy language framework for opportunistic spectrum sharing in DARPA's XG program. He has a Ph.D. from Boston University , and he is a senior member of the IEEE and the ACM.

Host: Ravi Sundaram