[Colloq] PhD Thesis Proposal - Yang Du, Wednesday, Nov. 28 - 315 Shillman Hall - NOTE DIFFERENT ROOM

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Nov 21 11:57:42 EST 2007

College of Computer and Information Science
presents

PhD Thesis Proposal by:
Yang Du

Proposal Title:
Optimal-Location Queries over Spatial Databases

Wednesday, November 28, 2007
**315 Shillman Hall**
11:00am

Abstract
We propose to study the optimal-location queries in spatial databases. Given a set S of sites, a set O of objects, and a spatial region Q, the optimal-location query returns a location in Q such that, if a new site is put at that location, the total benefit to the objects is maximized. The optimal-location queries are of interest in many applications such as corporation decision-support systems. There may be multiple variations of the optimal location because different applications may define the benefit to the objects differently. In this proposal, we consider two most intuitive definitions of the benefit. We also examine the problem under different distance metrics and extend the problem to the case where multiple locations need to be found.

We expect that the proposed work will not only advance spatial database research, but also benefit the end users who deal with a large volume of spatial data.

Committee list:
Donghui Zhang (Advisor)
Betty Salzberg
Rajmohan Rajaraman