[Colloq] REMINDER: PhD Thesis Proposal: Vassilis Koutavas, Monday, Nov. 19

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Nov 19 09:27:00 EST 2007

College of Computer and Information Science
presents

PhD Thesis Proposal by:
Vassilis Koutavas

Proposal Title:
Reasoning in Imperative and Higher-Order Programming Languages

Monday, November 19, 2007
12:00pm
166 West Village H

Abstract
Contextual equivalence, i.e. the property that two expressions are indistinguishable inside any program context, is a fundamental property of program expressions. I propose a framework for deriving methods for proving contextual equivalence, which are sound and complete, but also usable, in a variety of languages. The advantages of the derived proof methods are that they successfully deal with imperative features as well as higher-order features (callbacks, higher-order functions) where previous techniques have limitations.

We have used this framework to derive sound and complete methods for proving contextual equivalence for a variety of languages, including an untyped imperative lambda calculus, an imperative object calculus, and an imperative core of Java.

Committee:
Mitchell Wand (advisor)
Matthias Felleisen
Riccardo Puccela