[Colloq] PhD Thesis Defense, Tian Xia

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Jul 10 11:15:08 EDT 2007

College of Computer and Information Science
Presents:

PhD Thesis Defense

Tian Xia

who will speak on:
Subspace and Relaxed Skyline Query Processing

Friday, July 27, 2007
10:00am

The skyline query is important in many applications such as
multi-criteria decision making, data mining, and user-preference
queries. Given a set of dimensional objects, the objects that are not
dominated by others are called skyline objects. An object t is said to
dominate another object t', if t is better than or equal to t' on all
dimensions, and is strictly better than t' on at least one dimension. A
skyline query finds all skyline objects in a dataset. In the database
context, skyline queries can be divided into three categories:
conventional skyline queries, subspace skyline queries, and skyline
variant queries.

In this thesis, we first investigate subspace skyline query processing
with efficient update support in dynamic environments. A skyline query
issued on a subset of d dimensions is called a subspace skyline query.
In practice, each point may have many attributes for skyline analysis,
and various users can ask skyline queries on arbitrary subsets of the
dimensions, depending on their interests. In an online system that
accepts multiple concurrent subspace skyline queries, the query response
time is important. Because of the heavy query load and unpredictability
of the subspaces, on-the-fly computation from scratch is unsatisfactory
in query performance. On the other hand, to simply pre compute and store
all subspace skylines will incur expensive update costs. To achieve both
fast query response and efficient update support, we propose the
compressed skycube, a very concise representation of all skylines.
Equipped with a new query processing algorithm and a new object-aware
update scheme, the compressed skycube provides an efficient and scalable
solution for online skyline query systems.

Furthermore, we investigate the drawbacks of the conventional skyline
definition. Skylines do not always provide useful query results to
users. For example, a skyline query may return too few or too many
objects to users. Existing methods of various skyline queries have at
least one of the following drawbacks: (1) the size of skyline objects
can not be controlled, or can be only increased or only decreased but
not both; (2) skyline objects do not have built-in ranks; (3) skylines
do not reflect users' weights (preferences) at different dimensions. In
this thesis, we propose a unified and comprehensive approach, the
epsilon-skyline, to effectively solve all the above drawbacks. In
particular, we define a flexible epsilon-dominance relation, such that
epsilon-skyline sizes can be smaller or larger than the conventional
skyline sizes. Moreover, epsilon-skyline objects have an integrated
order and are responsive to users' weights. We thoroughly explore the
properties of epsilon-skylines and propose several different algorithms
(generic and index-based) to compute epsilon-skylines.

Committee members:
Prof. Donghui Zhang (Advisor)
Prof. Betty Salzberg
Prof. Harriet Fell
Prof. Peter Tarasewich
Prof. George Kollios (Boston University)