[Colloq] REMINDER - Talk, TODAY - April 2, Ravi Kumar, Yahoo! Research

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Apr 2 09:16:04 EDT 2007

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

Presents:
Ravi Kumar
Yahoo! Research

Who will speak on:
“Structure and Evolution of Online Social Networks”

Monday, April 2, 2007
12:00 pm

Online social networks have become major and driving phenomena on the web.

In this talk we focus on the properties of two large online social
networks, namely, the LiveJournal network of friends and the Flickr
network of contacts. In the context of LiveJournal, we formulate a
simple and general model of social networks that can explain the success
of Milgram's famous experiment that gave rise to 'six-degrees of
separation'. In the context of Flickr, we focus on the temporal
evolution of social networks from a graph-structure point of view.

Host: Ravi Sundaram