[Colloq] HIRING TALK: Monday, February 12, 10:30am

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Feb 9 09:46:22 EST 2007

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

Presents a Hiring Talk By:

Jennifer Golbeck
University of Maryland

Who will speak on:
Social Networks on the Web: Analysis, Applications, and Interaction

Monday, February 12, 2007
10:30 am

One of the largest public trends on the web is the dramatic growth of
social networks. This is in parallel to the rise of the Semantic Web,
the Grid, and increased online collaboration. In our social lives, we
regularly use social trust as a filter; how much we trust people affects
how much credence we give to things they tell us, how likely we are to
give them access to sensitive information or resources, and how to rank
information they give us compared to others. A proper understanding of
these relationships and their dynamics allows for the creation of
socially intelligent systems that personalize applications based on
users' social contexts.

In this talk, I will present a two-pronged approach toward using social
networks. First, I will introduce methods for computing trust . Then, I
will give several results on the integration of trust into computing
systems and interfaces, with specific focus on the evaluation methods
and the implications for working on the web.

Bio:

Jennifer Golbeck is a postdoctoral researcher and research coordinator
of the newly founded Joint Institute for Knowledge Discovery at the
University of Maryland, College Park, in the University of Maryland
Institute for Advanced Computer Studies. She received her AB in
economics and her SB and SM in computer science from the University of
Chicago, and her Ph.D. in computer science from the University of
Maryland.  In 2005, Golbeck was selected as a DARPA IPTO Young
Investigator and received an American Association for University Women
Graduate Award. In 2006, she was profiled in "AI's 10 to Watch" in IEEE
Intelligence Systems journal.

Host: Carole Hafner