[Colloq] PhD Thesis Proposal - Tian Xia, Mon. September 30

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Oct 23 12:16:57 EDT 2006

College of Computer and Information Science
presents a PhD Thesis Proposal by:
Tian Xia

Title:
Advanced Skyline Query Processing in Multidimensional Spaces

Monday, September 30, 2006
10:00am
366 West Village H

Abstract

The skyline query is important in many applications such as
multi-criteria decision making, data mining, user-preference queries,
and information retrieval.  Given a set of d-dimensional objects, the
skyline query finds the objects that are not dominated by others. In the
database context, the skyline queries can be divided into three
categories: the conventional skyline queries, the subspace skyline
queries, and the skyline variant queries. We thoroughly survey the
existing techniques on computing the (subspace) skyline queries and
their variants. However, the conventional/subspace skylines have two
major drawbacks. First, the size of the skyline can not be controlled.
Furthermore, the skyline objects are incomparable to each other, causing
the database system to return the results in arbitrary orders. All the
existing approaches (i.e. the skyline variants) can only deal with one
aspect of the skyline deficiencies, and can not be naturally combined
together. In this proposal, we propose a comprehensive and unified
approach, the epsilon-skyline to overcome both drawbacks, and we further
extend the epsilon-skyline to the epsilon-skycube.

Thesis committee members:
Prof. Donghui Zhang (advisor)
Prof. Betty Salzberg
Prof. Harriet Fell
Prof. Peter Tarasewich
Prof. George Kollios (Boston University)