[Colloq] PhD Thesis Defense Panfeng Zhou- Tuesday, Aug. 8, 10am

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Aug 3 16:30:15 EDT 2006

College of Computer and Information Science
presents
PhD Thesis Defense
Panfeng Zhou

will speak on
Querying Multi-dimensional Data and Spatio-temporal Data with
Non-overlapping Access Methods

Tuesday, August 8, 2006
10:00am
366 West Village H
Abstract
Multi-dimensional indexing and spatio-temporal indexing are widely used
in spatial databases (e.g., VLSI, GIS, image databases) and moving
objects databases (e.g., GPS, cellular databases). The R-tree family is
one of the most popular multi-dimensional and spatio-temporal access
methods. However, overlaps among index entries are a major impediment of
the R-tree which affects both query performance and concurrency performance.

The hB-pi tree is a multi-dimensional access method which does not have
overlap, and its index page fanout is insensitive to the dimension
increases. In addition, the hB-pi tree integrates the concurrency and
recovery algorithms from the II-tree. But the hB-pi tree indexes the
whole space no matter whether or not there is any data in some
sub-spaces. Indexing empty space (i.e., space without data inside) leads
to unnecessary data page accesses which increase with growing dimension.
This dissertation addresses this problem by proposing the hB-pi* tree,
which efficiently indicates empty spaces and improves query performances
while preserving the hB-pi's high fan-out and good concurrency. Our
methods can be applied to any kd-tree based access methods. The hB-pi*
tree outperforms the hB-pi tree and the R*-tree in querying low to
medium dimensional (i.e., 2D to 8D) point data sets. To the author's
knowledge, the hB-pi* tree is the first access method that has good
query performance as well as good concurrency performance in indexing
low to medium point data sets. The hB-pi*
tree also shows a performance that is comparable to that of the R*-tree
in querying spatial objects with extents. Our claims are supported by
extensive experimental evaluation.

Furthermore, we introduce the (historical and spatial) range close-pair
query for moving objects} as an important problem for spatio-temporal
databases. The purpose of a range close-pair query for moving objects is
to find pairs of objects that were closer than a threshold during time
interval I and within spatial range R, where the threshold, I and R are
user-specified parameters.  This dissertation solves the range
close-pair query using two components: a retrieval component and a
close-pair identification component.  The retrieval component breaks up
long trajectories into trajectory segments, which are produced in
increasing time order, without the need for sorting. The retrieval
component takes advantage of a new index mechanism, the Multiple
TSB-tree which divides the space into non-overlapping cells. The
segments are then pipelined to the close-pair identification component.
The identification component introduces a novel spatial sweep that
sweeps by time and one spatial dimension in parallel. Extensive
experimental results are provided, demonstrating the advantages of the
new approach.

Committee:
    Professor Betty Salzberg, advisor
    Professor Gene Cooperman
    Assistant Professor Donghui Zhang
    Assistant Professor George Kollios, Boston