[Colloq] Talk: Thursday, Aug. 3 - Ron Metoyer - Oregon State University

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Jul 27 11:13:06 EDT 2006

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

Presents:
Ron Metoyer
Oregon State University

Who will speak on:
“Data-driven Motion Generation”

Thursday, August 3, 2006
12:00 pm

Data-Driven motion generation is a technique for creating animated
motion given a library of motion data such as that obtained with motion
capture equipment. Motion that is generated in this way is generally
compelling because it contains the unique and subtle qualities of human
motion that are difficult to generate procedurally. However, controlling
the motion to achieve a specific task is often difficult.

We record motion sequences of an actor performing various tasks relevant
to the application at hand. We then build a 'pose-graph' that can be
searched offline or pre-processed further to generate spatially
controlled motion in real time.

We have used this approach for creating controllable 3D character
locomotion as well as for building 2D motion models for use in
pedestrian simulations. In this talk, I will present our approach for
building these real-time motion graphs, discuss its limitations, and
demonstrate performance through several video sequences. I will conclude
with a short discussion of future work in this area.

Bio:
Asst. Prof. Ron Metoyer joined the Computer Science Department at Oregon
State University in the Fall of 2001 with a Ph.D. from the Georgia
Institute of Technology where he worked in the Graphics, Visualization
and Usability Center. His dissertation research involved modeling and
visualizing the motion of pedestrians in urban and architectural scenes.
Currently, Dr. Metoyer runs the Graphics and Imaging Technologies Lab
(GAIT) along with his colleagues, Dr. Eric Mortensen, Dr. Eugene Zhange,
and Dr. Mike Bailey. He and his students conduct research in creating
interactive content for training and education. Research projects range
from the development of believable character motion generation
algorithms to the development of interfaces for novice users to create
and interact with 3D content. One testbed application is the digital
football playbook for coaches and football players to use as a training
and visualization tool. His work is funded by an NSF CAREER award
entitled, "Understanding the Complexities of Animated Content".

Host: Ravi Sundaram