[Colloq] Fwd: NUCAR Talk

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Jun 13 16:11:57 EDT 2006

          NU Computer Architecture Research Talk

You are all invited to attend the following talk at Northeastern
University.

Title: "How to keep cool and get the job done"

Ramon Canal
Universitat Politcnica de Catalunya (UPC)
Barcelona, Spain

Thursday June 15
4:00-5:30PM
440 Dana Research Center
Northeastern University
Boston, MA

Abstract
--------
Energy consumption, power dissipation and thermal behaviour have
come to be the limiting factor of nowadays processor designs and
together with
reliability will still be for the forthcoming processor generations. In
the past few years we have seen an explosion of research studies over
power consumption. Later, due to the evolution of silicon technology,
these studies have been focused on leakage energy and thermal
operating conditions. In this talk, we will go over the evolution of power-
related studies and we will see how industry has dealt with this
limiting factor through the evolution of their products. Finally, we
will look
into the future challenges for computer architects related to energy,
power and thermal behaviour.

About the speaker
-----------------
Ramon Canal is an assistant professor at the Computer Science
Faculty of the Universitat Politcnica de Catalunya (UPC) where he is teaches
courses in the area of Computer Architecture, Microprocessor
Technology and VLSI Design. He is conducting his research in the Computer
Architecture Department (UPC) in the ARCO (ARchitectures and
COmpilers) group, where he is leading the Thermal- and Power- Aware
subgroup. He
received the BSc. MSc and Ph.D. from the UPC. He has published
numerous articles in leading international conferences and has
participated in
several european and Spanish level research projects, as well as
with IBM.
At the same time,  he has been member of the program commitee of
ICCD and ICPADS.More detail can be found on his home page:
http://people.ac.upc.edu/rcanal

For more information about this talk, contact David Kaeli
(kaeli at ece.neu.edu).