[Colloq] REMINDER: CCIS Colloquium - Andrea Grimes - Thursday, 3/23, 3pm

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Mar 23 10:02:01 EST 2006

The College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium
presents:
Andrea Grimes

Who will speak on:
"Human Centered Computing for a Technologically Mediated World"

When: Thursday, March 23, 2006
Time: 3:00pm
Place: 110 West Village H

Abstract:
In the United States, we have experienced a few major paradigm
shifts with respect to models of human-computer interaction.
Beginning with the mainframe model (one computer, many people) we
shifted to the personal computer model (one computer, one person) and we
are now in the third wave of computing in which a number of
individuals own many computing devices. This paradigm shift
marks a major change in the way we live our lives: our worlds are
becoming embedded with technological activity. As we move towards a
world of ubiquitous computing, the field of Human Centered Computing has
emerged to question how we approach system requirements gathering,
design, and evaluation. More than ubiquitous computing environments,
though, Human Centered Computing addresses the issue of understanding
how people behave in an effort to design technology that they
will actually want to use. In this talk I will discuss the
emerging field of Human Centered Computing, particularly how
it uses the behavioral and social sciences to ground the design
of new technology. I will also discuss two projects I have
worked on this year:
designing a system to help people visually reflect on their
health, and exploring the relationship between culture,
nutrition and technology. These case studies will serve as
examples of how a human-centered approach to system design can
help propel the innovation of individually, socially and
culturally relevant technologies.

Bio:
Andrea Grimes graduated from Northeastern's College of Computer &
Information Science in 2005 with a BS in CS and is now a graduate
student in the College of Computing at the Georgia Institute of
Technology pursuing her PhD in Human-Centered Computing. Andrea
won the CRA top female student award for 2005, and is the
recipient of an NSF Graduate Research Fellowship.

Host: Peter Tarasewich