[Colloq] REMINDER: Hiring Talk: TODAY, 12PM - Morgan McGuire, Brown Univ.

Rachel Kalweit rachelb at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Feb 17 08:47:14 EST 2006

College of Computer and Information Science Colloquium

Presents:
Morgan McGuire
Brown University

Who will speak on:
Separating Foreground from Background in Video, and Other Applications
of a Single-axis, Multi-sensor Camera

Friday, February 17, 2006
12:00pm

A television weatherforecaster appears with a satellite map but is
really standing in front of a blue screen. \emph{Matting} is the process
of separating the forecaster from the screen; doing this if the
forecaster is instead in front of a complex moving background, say
traffic in New York City, is an open problem.  I present a solution to
this problem as one instance of what can be accomplished with a camera
containing multiple video sensors.

Most cameras contain a single sensor that measures, at each pixel, the
amount of light near specific red, green, and blue wavelengths.  Using
multiple sensors we can measure more wavelengths, multiple exposures,
different polarizations; we can even consider different lens parameters.
  Future cameras will likely have these capabilities, which raises
interesting questions:

* What are good designs for multi-sensor cameras?
* How can we use them to solve current problems?
* Given multiple sensors, what new applications can we explore?

In this talk, I present a general framework for working with
multi-sensor cameras, demonstrate several applications, and describe
methods for construction, calibration, and optimizing optical design.

Host: Matthias Felleisen